May
Bekah met her Grandpa and Grandma W. and Aunt Kerri, and we celebrated my first Mother's Day. Before Bekah was born, I was hoping she would be born on or before Mother's Day. (Her due date was the day before.) She was born 6 days before Mother's Day...but by that point, I realized that I so busy being a mom (and enjoying it as much as I could) that I didn't really care about being "celebrated". Nathan and I did go out for dinner that night...and just as promised, my first big meal out was medium rare steak and sushi! My, oh my, how I missed both of those during pregnancy! The rest of the month is pretty much a blur to me. I was already loving being a mom, but I was also in survival mode much of the time, feeling rather overwhelmed with not knowing how to care for this precious little girl and still get everything else done. We were blessed by so many who provided meals for us during the month (and a little beyond) and by my mom who stayed with us a few days while Nathan was out of town for work.
June
We took a few more little steps back toward "normal" life...although, we were still in the stages of major adjustments. We joined our small group again (after taking May off) and made our first trip to Ohio. The first weekend of June was a big one. Bekah met her Uncle Mark, Aunt Emma, cousin Sarah, Grandma Lynn, and Great-aunt Bev. She also attended a wedding and reception for the very first time. Throughout the month, she learned to like her baths more and more (as long as her daddy gave them to her), and she also smiled more and more. We were quickly learning that we had a rather happy baby, very unlike how her mom was as a baby!
July
Two trips to Ohio! The middle of the month, we met the newest addition to the family, and got some fun pictures of Bekah with her cousins Sarah and Anna. Bekah also met some of her other relatives on her Grandma W.'s side of the family. A couple weeks later, we were back in Ohio for Nathan's cousin's wedding, so Bekah was able to meeting Nathan's family (including her cousin Chase). Also throughout July...we moved Bekah from the pack 'n play in our room to the crib in her room. It was a much more difficult change for me than for her. For over 2 months, Bekah had slept in a pack 'n play next to our bed every night. It was a bittersweet thing to have her moved across the hall to her own room. She did very well with the change. That month, she also started sucking her thumb (and other fingers)...and around that time, she started sleeping through the night. :) And the stunning revelation of the month...she looks just like her daddy (minus all the facial hair).
August
Bekah continued to confirm that she's a fairly happy baby. We love seeing her smiles and hearing her laughter. We were really working on tummy time, which she really wasn't all that fond of. She would much rather be on her back since she could scoot and look around more easily. By the end of the month, she was doing much better at tummy time...but she also figured out how to roll over! She first rolled over from back to tummy, and a few days later figured out tummy to back. So, tummy time is cut much shorter now since she knows how to roll over to her back. Also in August, we started putting her in the nursery during church. One week, she decided to stop sleeping through the service and chose to talk through most of it instead. She's done pretty well in the nursery so far...but she's a pretty social baby, anyway, so that wasn't too surprising.
September
Bekah attended her very first block party, and has also been introduced to football! She seems to enjoy watching the wonderful sport. We've also been hitting the nap thing fairly hard. It hasn't been an easy process, but it's been going much better than expected. There are still a couple weeks left of the month, which are filled with several fun things.
So...how am I feeling about being a stay-at-home mommy? The word "love" doesn't seem to be adequate. At first, I may have felt like I was in survival mode for much of it, but I still enjoyed being a mom. And each day, I love it even more. I'm definitely living my "dream career". And in the midst of that, I feel like I'm actually getting back to some kind of "normal" life (much more so than at the beginning of the summer). It's a different kind of normal than what I've had in the past (and a normal that is always changing), but it's a much better kind of normal. I have an amazing husband and an incredible daughter. The Lord has blessed me so far beyond what I deserve. I have so much more I want to write, but the sweet little girl is awake from her nap, so it's time to go enjoy spending some time together before her next nap!
No comments:
Post a Comment